8.27.2008

Bella

Movie tip. If anyone is feeling a movie night anytime soon I strongly suggest renting Bella. The movie ultimately revolves around the subject of abortion and has actually become quite the center of attention within the Christian community because of this controversial topic. I recently watched the movie with my boyfriend and I have to admit we both cried multiple times. Sorry Brian. Anyway, I think it is probably safe to say that anyone would cry while watching this movie, it is quite the tear jerker. Mexican film director Alejandro Monteverde is who's responsible for this brilliant film. He even took home the "People's Choice Award" at Toronto's International Film Festival in 2006 for it. What makes this movie even more moving is that it is actually a personal story related to Monteverde's own life. I was lucky enough to have worked with a close friend of the director this summer. The insight she gave me into the director's life and how he used his experience with the story in his movie is truly inspiring. It is really good to see that artists today still use their own personal lives to inspire their work; it truly gives the audience a sense of vulnerability, passion, and honesty from the director. Very often, those three elements are the difference between a good movie...and a poor one.

No comments: