9.02.2008

90210


After watching the new 90210 that premiered tonight with its two hour episode on the CW I have to admit I was unpleasantly surprised. The show itself was not what shocked me, but yet the extremely tiny frames of the young cast members. Apparently, the girls from "the most anticipated show of the season" are not too into eating? Is this really the message we want to send to the young fans, whom of which are primarily young teens? My roommates and I could hardly believe how thin the girls in the show appeared... I mean isn't the camera supposed to "add 10 lbs." anyway? Yikes, if that's the case these girl's are definitely in trouble. Especially after seeing these same characters just recently in movies and other TV shows where they looked nowhere near as alarmingly skinny as they appeared in the new 90210 tonight. Such as actor Jessica Stroup for example, who sported a much more healthier frame when she recently starred in the summer hit Prom Date. Personally, I think with all of the trouble we have been having with skinny "celebs" in the spotlight I think that this is a major setback for our efforts on trying to change the messages celebrities send to their fans about body image. Well one thing's for sure, I certainly hope that in the episodes to come the little bitty gals will be allowed to eat...until then I know the only thing I'll be able to focus on this season won't be the show itself but how disturbing the skin and bones characters look in this renewed hit series....eeek!

1 comment:

Terri said...

I agree with you! This is not what we want to project to our young, impresssionable youth of today!