10.04.2008

Strut: First Thursday

For some reason I always seem to miss "first Thursday" on South Congress. The fact that it is the first Thursday of the month slips my mind, or I have already made prior arrangements, either way I never get to experience one of Austin's special little gems that is "first Thursday."

First Thursday is (literally) the first Thursday of every month when all of the local Austinites come out to walk along "soco" enjoying food, music, and great shopping. All of the stores and restaurants put on great deals for this particular day of the month. One of my personal favorite places to shop, Strut, is one of the stores that partakes in the festivities.

Strut always puts on a great sale for the night, usually at least 40% off of everything in their store. Unfortunately, I usually hear about all the great clothes, shoes, and jewelry people got the day AFTER. I can never seem to remember that it is the FIRST THURSDAY of the month, but not this month. This time I remembered.

It all happened during my Journalism class. I was sitting in class Thursday afternoon, doing an in class exercise where we interview our fellow classmates. A little exercise that is supposed to help us become comfortable with asking complete strangers personal and intrusive questions about their life. Fortunately I was able to spare the awkwardness this time because I got paired up with the one person out of our entire class that I actually knew. During my mock interview with Tristan it dawned on me. For the very first time I ACTUALLY remembered that it was first Thursday. Even better, I still had time to drive across the street to Strut and maybe, actually, finally, have the chance to buy something that was discounted for a change.

Luckily this day I had no prior obligations, so right after class I rushed with a smile on my face and my wallet full of cash ready to be spent on first Thursday souvenirs from Strut. Of course, since everyone typically remembers to do their shopping on first Thursday there were no parking spots in the lot designated for Strut so I had to settle for a spot in front of a house in a neighborhood not too far from the store.

Once I finally arrived at the doors of the little white store it was clear that I was not the only one who remembered first Thursday this time. The place was packed. I looked around for a while but after I saw the long lines to the dressing rooms it was clear that my patience was not going to hold up for long. The employee in charge of getting shoe sizes was moving particularly speedy so I figured it was my best bet. I decided on a pair of strappy black heels and made my way to the jewelry section. The jewelry area was another place less crowded with shoppers. I picked out a pair of gold hoops and headed for check out.

I'm still not sure if I needed either of the items I bought at Strut that day, but the fact that I bought them on first Thursday is what makes it all worth it.

No comments: